Southern Lights - Pt 3, No 1, 2005
1. Find the meanings of these words from the story.
Fascinate - If someone or something fascinates you, you a really interested and excited by them. ✔
karakia - karakia means prayer. ✔
seize - Take hold of person or thing suddenly or forcibly. ✔
2. Find out 3 pieces of information about the Southern Lights - you might find some information and images on the internet.
- An aurora is a natural light display in the sky particularly in the high latitude regions.
- The Southern Lights, Aurora Australis, occur at the southern geographic pole- the North magnetic pole. They can only be seen in the Antarctic and from areas such as Tasmania and southern parts of New Zealand.
- The southern and northern lights occur simultaneously. ✔
3. Answer these comprehension questions to show your understanding of the text.
a) What lets you know in the story that the story is told by the Maori? Because of the pictures. ✔
b) Where do you think the men were when they saw the large islands of ice in the south? I think they were at antarctica. ✔
c) Why did the people burn the waka?
Carrying the spirits of Tama-rereti and the young chiefs. ✔